Wi-Fi calling lets you call and message (text and MMS) over Wi-Fi when you have little or no network coverage. You can use it to call and message just like you do on the regular network. It’ll work even if the person you’re calling or texting isn’t using Wi-Fi Calling.
Learn more about Wi-Fi Calling.
Call and text messages over Wi-Fi
When Wi-Fi Calling is turned on, your phone will automatically use an available Wi-Fi network, if it determines that you have low or no cellular coverage.
If you’re making a call in an area with VoLTE cellular coverage and then move out of the coverage area, your phone will automatically switch to Wi-Fi Calling without interrupting the call (this also works when moving from Wi-Fi to VoLTE). If you’re using Wi-Fi calling and you move away from Wi-Fi and into a non VoLTE coverage area, then your call will drop.
Wi-Fi Calling locations
Wi-Fi Calling is only available in Canada. When you’re outside Canada, your phone will not allow Wi-Fi calling or messaging. This feature is available across Canada.
Note: If using Wi-Fi calling while roaming, roaming charges will apply.
Wi-Fi Calling requirements
In order to enable and use Wi-Fi calling, you’re going to need:
- A Koodo Postpaid monthly plan (sorry, Wi-Fi Calling isn’t available on Prepaid plans)
- An LTE SIM
- An active Koodo Self Serve account
- A Wi-Fi connection that allows Voice over IP calling (VoIP).
Note: A minimum speed of 1 Mbps is recommended. Slow speeds will affect the quality of the call.
Wi-Fi Calling for Android
Google: Pixel series (Pixel 3, 3 XL and newer)
- Huawei P30 (ELE-L04)
- Huawei P30 Pro (VOG-L04)
- Huawei P40 (ANA-LX4)
- Huawei P40 Pro (ELS-N04)
- LG G6 (LG-H873)
- LG G7 ThinQ (LM-G710AWM)
- LG G8X (LM-G850UM)
- LG K30 (LM-X320WM)
- LG K31 (LM-K300WM)
- LG K41S (LM-K410WM)
- LG K61 (LM-Q630UM)
- LG K9 (LM-X210WM)
- LG Q Stylo+ (LM-Q710WA)
- LG Q6 (LG-M703)
- LG Q60 (LM-X525WA)
- LG Q70 (LM-Q620WA)
- LG V30 (LG-H933)
- LG V60 ThinQ 5G (LM-V600TM)
- LG Velvet (LM-G900UM)
- LG X Power 2 (LG-M320G)
- LG X Power 3 (LM-X510WM)
- Motorola Edge+
- Moto E
- Moto E6
- Moto G 5G (2022)
- Moto G Fast
- Moto G Power (2021)
- Moto G Power (2022)
- Moto G7 Play
- Moto g stylus 5G (2022)
- Motorola One 5G Ace
- Motorola One Hyper
- Samsung G71 XCoverPro (SM-G715W)
- Samsung Galaxy A03s (SM-A037W)
- Samsung Galaxy A10e (SM-A102W)
- Samsung Galaxy A11 (SM-A115W)
- Samsung Galaxy A20 (SM-A205W)
- Samsung Galaxy A21 (SM-A215W)
- Samsung Galaxy A32 5G (SM-A326W)
- Samsung Galaxy A5
- Samsung Galaxy A50 (SM-A505W)
- Samsung Galaxy A51 (SM-A515W)
- Samsung Galaxy A52 (SM-A526W)
- Samsung Galaxy A53 5G (SM-A536W)
- Samsung Galaxy A70 (SM-A705W)
- Samsung Galaxy A71 (SM-A715W)
- Samsung Galaxy A8
- Samsung Galaxy J3 Top
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 (SM-N970W)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ (SM-N975W)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (SM-N950W)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (SM-N960W)
- Samsung Galaxy Note20 5G (SM-N981W)
- Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G (SM-N986W)
- Samsung Galaxy S10 (SM-G973W)
- Samsung Galaxy S10+ (SM-G975W)
- Samsung Galaxy S10e (SM-G970W)
- Samsung Galaxy S20 5G (SM-G981W)
- Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G (SM-G781W)
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G (SM-G988W)
- Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G (SM-G986W)
- Samsung Galaxy S21 5G (SM-G991W)
- Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G (SM-G990W)
- Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G (SM-G998W)
- Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G (SM-G996W)
- Samsung Galaxy S22 5G (SM-S901W)
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G (SM-S908W)
- Samsung Galaxy S22+ 5G (SM-S906W)
- Samsung Galaxy S23 (SM-S911W)
- Samsung Galaxy S23+ (SM-S916W)
- Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra (SM-S918W)
- Samsung Galaxy S8 (SM-G950W)
- Samsung Galaxy S8+ (SM-G955W)
- Samsung Galaxy S9 (SM-G960W)
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ (SM-G965W)
- Samsung Galaxy XCover 4
- Samsung Galaxy XCover6 Pro (SM-G736W)
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip (SM-F700WDS)
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G (SM-F707W)
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G (SM-F711W)
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 5G (SM-F721W)
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G (SM-F916W)
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 5G (SM-F926W)
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 5G (SM-F936W)
- Samsung J3 Prime
- TCL 10L
- TCL 10Pro
- TCL 30 5G
- TCL 30 XE 5G
- TCL 303
- TCL Flip (4058E)
- Running the latest software update available over the air
Turning on Wi-Fi Calling for Android
(Steps may differ between manufacturers)
- Open Call Settings
- Turn on Wi-Fi Calling
- Enter your phone number. You’ll get a verification code. Enter the code to continue.
- You’ll need to read and accept the Wi-Fi Calling Terms and Conditions
- Enter your Emergency 911 Address
How to tell if you’re using Wi-Fi calling on Android
Once you see the Wi-Fi calling icon on the status bar of your phone, you can make a Wi-Fi call. Wi-Fi Calling conveniently calls those on your contact list the same way as you'd make calls on cellular. Your phone will only access Wi-Fi calling when you are in a low signal area.
Wi-Fi Calling for iPhone
- iPhone 6 or newer
- iOS 11.3 or newer (remember to update your carrier settings when prompted to do so)
Turning on Wi-Fi Calling for iPhone
Step 1: Enable VoLTE
- Open Settings
- Select Cellular
- Select Cellular Data Option
- Select Voice & Data
- Enable VoLTE
Step 2: Enable Wi-Fi Calling
- Open Settings
- Select Cellular
- Select Wi-Fi Calling and turn on Wi-Fi Calling
- You will need to read and accept the Wi-Fi Calling Terms and Conditions
- Enter your Emergency 911 Address
How to tell if you are using Wi-Fi calling on iPhone
Once you see the word Wi-Fi beside the Koodo network name on the status bar of your phone, you can make a Wi-Fi call. Wi-Fi Calling conveniently calls those on your contact list the same way as you'd make calls on cellular. Your phone will only access Wi-Fi calling when you are in a low signal area.
Wi-Fi Calling Billing Details
Wi-Fi calling doesn’t cost extra. Wi-Fi calls and messages are treated the same as cellular calls or messages. Also, there is no charge to use Wi-Fi Calling for a Canadian long distance call.
Here are some details of how Wi-Fi Calling is billed:
- Local calls: these calls will be deducted from your monthly voice allowance and any overage will be rated according to your plan
- Canada calls (domestic long distance): you will not be charged long distance
- USA or international long distance calls: customer will be billed at their plan’s standard international long distance rate
Note: Wi-Fi calling will not use up data from your Koodo wireless plan. However, it does use data from the Wi-Fi Internet access point.
9-1-1 over Wi-Fi
For the most reliable 9-1-1 experience, we strongly recommend you place 9-1-1 calls using the mobile network or a landline if available.
Important: If you must call 9-1-1 over Wi-Fi, your call will be answered by a specialized operator who will ask you to confirm your location and route your call to the correct regional Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP). Remember, in the event that you are unable to speak with the operator, the address you entered in your phone Wi-Fi Calling settings menu will be shared with the operator. Unfortunately, it isn’t possible to determine your phone location when making a 9-1-1 call over Wi-Fi.
Be sure to keep your Emergency 9-1-1 address up-to-date (from your phone Wi-Fi Calling settings menu) to ensure emergency services have accurate information to locate you in case of an emergency.
Note: Text 9-1-1 (T911) is not supported over Wi-Fi at this time.
If you experience problems, contact us to schedule a callback.
1 - The instructions and options don't seem to apply to my phone.
WiFi calling can only be enabled for VoLTE subscribers. If you’re a Prepaid subscriber, the option to enable WiFi calling will not be presented or supported.
2 - Why can't Prepaid customers get WiFi calling?
We're in the process of enabling VoLTE for Prepaid customers. WiFi calling can only be enabled after a customer is provisioned with VoLTE.
3 - How can I activate WiFi calls when I’m already in an area without cellular networks?
Please activate WiFi calling when you’re under cellular coverage. WiFi calling will automatically be triggered when you’re out of cellular coverage.