Shock-Free® Data lets you be in control of your data usage so you can avoid unexpected charges. That means you’ll never go over your data without knowing. We’ll send you a text when you’re at 50%, 90% and 100% of your data usage.
When you reach your limit, we’ll pause your data so you don’t go over, which means no surprises on your bill.
If your data is paused, you can resume it directly from your Koodo phone or in Self Serve (as long as you have authority on the account). Here's how...
To resume your data directly from your Koodo phone:
There are two options (authorized users can make purchases; unauthorized users will only receive the usage notification without an option to top up):
- Send a text message to 5337 with keyword YES to use your plan’s data pay-per-use rate.
- Send a text message to 5337 with keyword 17YES to add a data top-up of 500MB for $17 and 25YES to add a data top-up of 1GB for $25.
To resume your data through Self Serve:
- Log in to your Self Serve account.
- On the overview page, you will see a banner that tells you your data is paused. Click unpause data.
- Choose a data option.
- Review and submit your choice.
- Your data will be unpaused.
If you buy data and use it all up, it will be paused again. You can choose to continue using your data, but you’ll be charged your plan’s data pay-per-use rate.
You can only buy and use top-ups within the same bill cycle; your data will reset with the start of a new bill cycle. Any leftover data can’t be carried over to the next cycle.
Top ups can't be purchased proactively. To change your data limit, you’ll first need to change to a plan that offers more data. Log in to Self Serve to see the latest available plans.
To proactively pause data usage at any time for yourself or anyone on your account, this can be done through your phone’s settings:
- Go to Settings
- Under Network, select Mobile Network
- Select Mobile Data and switch the toggle to OFF. This will stop the data and allow only Wi-Fi to be used. This can be toggled back on whenever you want.
If you want to prevent an account user from using any amount of data from their rate plan bucket (for example, the user has a 4GB bucket, but you want their usage to be 0), you can opt to buy a Data Block SOC through Self Serve for $3/month.