What is Easy Roam?
With Easy Roam® you can use your existing phone plan when you travel abroad. You're only charged for the days you use your monthly plan's minutes, data or texts. Check our Easy Roam page to see how much it costs to use your phone while you travel.
How to add Easy Roam to your account
Only Authorized users are able to add Easy Roam to an account.
- Log in to your Self Serve account.
- In the drop-down menu, select View rate plan and then select Details beside the Easy Roam section.
- Select Add to plan on the next screen.
- You're good to go! You can now use your Koodo phone while travelling abroad.
- If you don't want to use Self Serve, you can always text ROAM to 7626 to activate Easy Roam.
Adding Easy Roam to each individual account
Sweet! You've added Easy Roam. Anything else? Maybe! You'll need to add Easy Roam to all the other Koodo phone numbers that will be travelling as well. To add Easy Roam to an account you have to be an Authorized user.
If you've done that, awesome. You’ll get a text message once you’ve landed in your destination confirming that Easy Roam is now active.
Don't want to use Easy Roam?
If you don't use Easy Roam while travelling, your talk, text and data usage will be charged separately from your regular monthly plan at our pay-per-use rates.
To access pay-per-use rates outside the U.S., you'll need to add the International Voice Roaming and International Data Roaming add-ons to your account if you want your phone to work abroad. If you're using Easy Roam while travelling abroad, you don't need to do this.
How to add international pay-per-use add-ons for non-Easy Roam customers
- Log in to your Self Serve account.
- In the drop-down menu, select Mobile services.
- Select manage beside the Add-ons section.
- Find International Voice Roaming ($0/month) and select Add to Plan so you can call and text while travelling outside of Canada and the U.S.
- Select Submit on the next screen. If this add-on is already on your account, you'll see it under Your current add-ons at the top of your screen.
- After you’ve added this, return to Add-ons and add International Data Roaming ($0). This feature won't be available until you complete Step 3. If you don’t want to use data, skip this step. If this add-on is already on your account, you'll see it under Your current add-ons at the top of your screen.
- You're good to go! You can use your Koodo phone while travelling abroad at pay-per-use rates.
International service provider coverage
International service providers may offer different services and their networks may have different frequencies.
In North America, Koodo phones are compatible with HSPA 850/1900 MHZ frequencies or newer. While traveling internationally, Koodo phones are compatible with HSPA 850/900/1800/1900 MHZ frequencies or newer. If the provider within the country doesn't offer the same frequency, your phone might not work on their network.
If the country you're travelling to doesn't have compatible frequency, you could try to rent a phone from a local provider. You can use your Koodo SIM card in the rental phone, access one of our partner companies and be charged with the above roaming rates. See our PDF list of eligible countries, frequencies and carriers.
When do pay-per-use roaming rates apply?
Pay-per-use applies if: you haven't opted into Easy Roam, and/or you travel to a destination that is not eligible for Easy Roam.
What happens if I have Easy Roam and I use my phone during a layover? Ex: I am travelling to Asia but have a layover in the U.S.
If you have Easy Roam and you use your phone during your layover, you'll be charged $8/day. If you arrive in your international destination on the same day and you use your phone, you'll also be charged $12/day.
My Koodo rate plan includes unlimited calling and 2 GB of data per billing cycle. I’m travelling to France next week for two days. What does paying the $12 per day for two days get me?
- You'd be able to make calls to Canada and within France.
- You could use your data exactly how you would at home in Canada, and would have 2 GB available minus whatever you’ve already used in your billing cycle so far. If you're on a Shock-Free® data plan, you'll receive data notifications at 50%, 90% and 100%, after which your data will be blocked. You can choose to top up your data at the domestic rate.
If I'm on a cruise and I have Easy Roam, can I use my Canadian rate plan?
- No, cruises aren't covered by Easy Roam so you'd be charged the roaming pay-per-use rate.
- Our satellite and cruise ship rates:
- Voice rate: $7/minute
- Outgoing text messages: $0.60/message
- Data is not available on cruise ships - customers should discuss Wi-Fi access with their cruise ship provider
I didn't receive an Easy Roam confirmation message. What do I do?
So, you added Easy Roam before you left Canada. You arrived at your destination but didn't get an Easy Roam confirmation message. Here's what you can to do check if it's been added:
- Text ROAM to 7626
- Double-check if Easy Roam has been added to your Self Serve account
Can I cancel Easy Roam?
Yep! You can opt out by:
- Logging into Self Serve
- Select "Mobile Services"
- Select "Manage Add-ons"
Why your bill might be higher than expected when you return home
Oh no! You've returned home from your trip only to find that your bill was higher than usual. If you added Easy Roam after landing in your travel destination, you might have incurred pay-per-use charges up until that point. Check your usage online on your Self Serve account to see details about your charges.