Google has added Rich Communication Services (RCS) to Android Messages. RCS is the next generation of messaging technology and improves your messaging by offering a native, richer and universal experience across networks and android devices.
Next Generation (Next-Gen) messaging works on select Android devices. It gives you some sweet new features in select conversations including:
- Group chats
- Read and delivered receipts
- High-resolution photo and video sharing
- Audio messaging
- Being able to send location
What you need
Next-Gen Messaging is available on:
- A Koodo postpaid (monthly) / prepaid data plan or an active Wi-Fi connection
- A Samsung smartphone running Android 9.0 (Pie) and up with latest Samsung Messages version
- Any other Android smartphone running Android 5.1 (Lollipop) and up with latest Google Messages version
How to turn it on:
- Open Messages
- Select Settings
- Select Chat Features/Settings
- Tap or slide the Enable chat features toggle to On
Heads up: When Next-Gen Messaging is provisioned for the first time on a compatible device, you will be prompted to enable the chat features.
Will my device automatically use Next-Gen messaging?
Will Next Generation messaging use my Wi-Fi or Data?
Can I use Next Generation only when I'm connected to Wi-Fi?
Learn more about Next-Gen messaging and chat features with Google.