VoLTE (Voice over LTE)
VoLTE is the next step in wireless calling and it comes with some awesome benefits. Koodo customers with a compatible phone1 will be able to make and receive calls over the fast Koodo LTE network instead of the HSPA network. With VoLTE you’ll get:
- Simultaneous use of voice and LTE data
- Awesome sound quality when calling another VoLTE-enabled device.
- Improved battery life to keep you going for longer
- Access to next generation services as they become available (i.e. Video over LTE)
Previously, data was carried over LTE when you were not on a voice call. If you were on a voice call, then your data was transmitted using the slower 3G speeds. Now, with VoLTE, your data will be carried over LTE even when you’re on a voice call.
VoLTE services are currently available nationally except for the province of Saskatchewan and some parts of Manitoba. We will be adding these locations in the near future.
How do I use VoLTE?
Making a VoLTE call is simple, when you know how… To make or receive a VoLTE call you need to:
- Be in a VoLTE- Enabled coverage area (that’s a fancy way of saying you need to be in a place that VoLTE covers). Remember, VoLTE is available nationwide except for Saskatchewan and some parts of Manitoba. You can find our full coverage list here.
- Be using a VoLTE compatible phone purchased from Koodo1. Bring your own phone(BYOD) from other carriers will not be compatible with this feature.
Most Koodo customers with devices that are enabled with VoLTE will be able to take advantage of it automatically once your device has been updated with the latest software. All your calls will be carried over to the Koodo LTE network as long as you’re in a VoLTE-capable LTE coverage area.
Roaming on VoLTE
As of October 18, 2018, customers with a VoLTE enabled Samsung S8 or S8+, with the latest software installed, will be able to place and receive calls over the LTE network instead of the HSPA network while roaming in the U.S. If there is no VoLTE coverage, or if customers don't have a VoLTE enabled device, customers will continue roaming on the 4G (HSPA) network. VoLTE roaming rates will be at the same as current HSPA roaming rates.
Changes with VoLTE roaming
- Phone calls shown on bills may be listed in Universal Coordinated Time (UTC) as opposed to local time.
- Phone calls shown on bills will have the location listed as "USA" instead of the specific city or state.
- Some location-based short-codes may no longer work.
- 911 calls while roaming will not show up on your bill.
Do I have to pay more for using VoLTE?
No. All your voice usage will be billed according to your Koodo plan and you will not be using any of your monthly data allowance.
Note: VoLTE E911 is available in all VoLTE enabled areas. In areas where VoLTE E911 is not available, customers are still able to make standard 911 calls.
 VoLTE enabled devices: LG G7 ThinQ, LG Q Stylo+, LG X Power3, LG G6, LG V30, LG Q6, LG G5, iPhone X, iPhone 8 / 8+, iPhone 7/7+, iPhone 6S/6S+, iPhone 6/6+, iPhone SE, Samsung Note 9, Samsung A8, Samsung GS9/GS9+, or newer.
 VoLTE roaming supported devices: Samsung S8 and S8+.